When is the optimum time to drink water?
Previously we learned how much water to drink daily (body weight in pounds divided by 2 is the amount of water to drink in ounces), now let's highlight when it is most beneficial for us to drink that water.
1. Drink a glass of water first thing in the morning. This helps move
anything that has settled in our bodies over the previous night. It activates our cells to start the day and re-hydrates our tissues. I recommend a glass of warm water to give our digestive system a "warm up."
2. Drink water a half hour before meals. This helps us from overeating and initiates digestion. Drinking water with a meal may dilute our stomach acid and inhibit proper breakdown of our foods. This is important for people who do not produce enough stomach acid.
3. Drink water between meals. To help with the mid-day fog or after lunch lull, stay hydrated! Water helps maintain our energy throughout the day. Staying hydrated is also a first line of defense from getting sick or succumbing to a headache.
4. Drink water before and after exercise. Our bodies perform better and repair faster when they are hydrated.
5. Drink MORE water if you are ill. Staying well hydrated is critical to a speedier recovery.